• Home of Pauline Hutop, wife of Adolf Spurgat.
Wylkowiszki is on the upper left. Gize is on the lower right.
Gize (now Gizai) was a village which originated in the 16th century. It was also a manor in the administrative district of Wylkowiszki, and an administrative subdistrict with a parish in Gize. It was located on the road from Wylkowiszki to Mariampol. (1) In the 18th century Gize belonged to the “minski” marshall, Adam Chmara.(2)
Gize is located 63 versts south of (the city) of Suwalki. In an earlier time there were 31 houses and 268 inhabitants. The 1866 and 1870 court assets revealed that there were plowable fields and gardens, forests, an alcohol distillery, a beer brewery, a brickyard, and a flour mill.
There were 3,491 people in the Gize commune of 13,262 morgs. There was an administrative subdivision Court of Justice of the 1st Degree. The post office in Wylkowiszki was about 12 versts away.
In 1881 in the village of Gize there were 56 people in the settlement and 335 morgs of fields. (3)
1 Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego, 576.
2 Mapa Topograficzna Polski, Skorowidz Map 1:100 000.
3 Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego, 576.