Vol. 12 – Nos. 3 – 4 (Double Issue) (2002) Special Section on Augustow District
A general history of the Augustow District (created in 1866 as part of the Suwalki Gubernia) is presented in this article. The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth existed from 1569 to 1795, the date of the Third Partition of Poland. From 1795 to 1807 the area was known as New East Prussia when Prussia was in control. From 1807 to 1815 this area came under French control as the Duchy of Warsaw when Napoleon defeated Prussia. In 1815 the Kingdom of Poland (also known as Congress Poland and Russian Poland) was established by the Czar of Russia and the Augustow Province came into being. In 1866 the Augustow Province was divided into Suwalki and Lomza gubernias, together known as a district or powiat in Polish. One was the Augustow District. When Lithuania became independent in 1918, the former Suwalki gubernia Districts of Wladyslawow, Kalwaria, Marijampol, and Wolkowiszki and the northern Senjy District became part of that country.
Vol. 13 – Nos. 1 – 2 (Double Issue) (2003) Special Section on Wladyslawow/Neustadt (Part I)
A map of Suwalki Gubernia Portion of the 1866 Map provides the spelling of village names just before the Russification program.
Vol. 14 – Nos. 1 – 2 (Double Issue) (2004) Source Material for New-East Prussia
This article describes the many documents for Suwalk-Lomza towns (c. 1796-1810) and provides a brief history of the administrative divisions of the land that was New East Prussia (1795 to 1807), the Duchy of Warsaw (1807 to 1815), the Kingdom of Poland (aka Congress Poland (1815 to circa 1867) when it became known as the Augustow Gubernia (Province). After the Polish insurrections of 1861 to 1865, the two gubernias of Suwalki and Lomza were formed (1866 to the end of WWI). The succinct history allows the reader to trace follow his ancestors through governmental changes.
The article ends with a four page list of examples titled “Selected Items from Sources for the History of Jews in the Archives of the New Federal States Volume 2, Part II New East Prussia” and lists genealogical information about Jews in various towns in the Lomza gubernia.